Pages

Strength Power Cardio Workout for BJJ

I tried out this new workout program this week, which I feel is very suitable as a supplement to combat arts such as BJJ and MMA.

Kettlebell training will improve your BJJ


The program was inspired by the owners of this website which deals with kettlebell training and yoga. I used their proposed workout as a rough guide, but made some modifications to suit my own fitness and strength level.

It looks something like this:

Section 1:

Warmups - do some dynamic stretching to get your body ready for the work ahead.

Section 2 - Power:

 -Single arm swings, superset with jump squats - 3 sets of 10 swings (each arm), then 6 jumps
- Move on to snatch ladder, 2 sets of 5 reps per side ie 1 snatch per side, then 2, then3 until 5 per side

Section 3 -Strength:

- Double kettlebell military press, superset with double kettlebell bent over rows - 3 sets of 5 reps
- Pushups superset with pullups,  3 sets of 10 pushups and 5 pullups

Mike Mahler- kettlebell expert


Section 4: Conditioning/cardio

Tabata protocol of 8 rounds of 20:10 seconds work/rest ratio, using exercises like weight plate swing to squat, burpees, wrestling sit outs, mountain climbers
Gymboss Interval Timer
Section 5- Warm down:

Do some simple stretches to relax

It took me about 20 minutes to complete the whole workout. Short and sweet, and it was challenging enough for my needs. I'll probably be doing this on the off days when I dont train BJJ.

Overall, tough workout, worked my whole body, gave me a good sweat. I liked it!



You might also like:

Awesome 300 Dumbbell Workout

5 Best Online Resources to Improve your BJJ game

8 comments:

  1. Interesting workout, will definitely steal a few of the exercises and try putting them in my own sheulde =)

    Keep on writing!

    // Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across this and I'm SO glad I did. Thanks for all the useful info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice workout plan. I recently switched over to kettle bells after using dumb bells for so many years. I don't know why I didn't use these earlier. I'll try this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These workouts definitely get us in great shape. Good stuff guys! I will absolutely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing workout post. It's great to improve strength and be firmer from workout guides like this, as well as from workout videos.

    ReplyDelete