Pages

3 BEST KETTLEBELL EXERCISES TO IMPROVE YOUR BJJ

If you're looking to improve your strength & conditioning and cardio for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), try incorporating kettlebell workouts into your routine.

kettlebells for bjj

The 3 best exercises for BJJ in my opinion, are:

Kettlebell swing



Kettlebell Snatch

















Turkish Get-Ups

















If you do these workouts on a consistent basis, say 2-3 times a week, you will discover that your BJJ conditioning and stamina when you roll will improve dramatically.

I also find that the kettlebell is quite convenient in a sense that you can make do with only one kettlebell. You can execute so many variations and drills with just a single kettlebell and become pretty fit. That's all you need - a single kettlebell for your BJJ contioning needs! However, ideally you should possess 2 kettlebells so that you can incorporate double kettlebell work.

double kettlebells
Two are better than one
My personal routine:

Swings - single handed, timed for 6 min (the average time limit for 1 round in  BJJ competition)
Turkish get-ups - alternating hands, timed for 5 mins
Snatches - single handed, 3 sets of 10

After training with a kettlebell (I started a few years ago), I noticed that I feel stronger, fitter and can last longer in a BJJ match.

If you do a search on the web, you will find countless tips and routines on using and working out with a kettlebell.

Go try it out and see for yourself!

You might also like:

Best online resources to improve your BJJ game

Kettlebell for BJJ Program

Strength-Power-Cardio-Workout for BJJ

Double Kettlebell Complex "The Man-Maker"


14 comments:

  1. I think these are the best ideas here to improve BJJ. I will surely implement those to my daily exercise. Thanks for these nice tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice exercises - I tried the snatch and get-ups with my training group, and they worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appear to be hard exercises to do even for experimented guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice videos. I think that the swing is the easiest and definitely helpful with BJJ training. Do you limit yourself to just these 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJJ Santa Monica

      I started doing kettlebells using those 3 exercises, but nowadays I mix and match workouts.

      Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  5. I have never used kettlebells - mainly medicines balls and free weights.

    Would you consider this a workout or part of a larger training session?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thses can be a workout all by themselves, although I do use other types of equipment such as pull up bars, trx and dumbbells.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this great idea but its seems to me hard, but hard is the key of good success

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to do burpee's because it mimics the sprawl and then go right into swings. Sounds simple but do a couple rounds of 10 burpee's 10 swings and it gets to be a great workout.

    Your sprawl will hopefully get better as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...10 burpees 10 swings, say for 10 sets? Sounds challenging. Might give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  8. You can do work out at home at any time but morning work out has a different result .. You can use this product Best Adjustable Wrist Weights at home very easily …

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an Awesome post. Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete